Saturday, October 29, 2011

I Believe in one God

Excerpts from the book, A Guide to the New Translation of The Mass written by Edward Sri, S.T.D. and printed by Ascension Press in 2011.

English was the only Western language that translated the opening Latin word of the Nicene Creed (Credo) with the plural “We believe”. The new translation of the Creed begins with the words, “I believe in one God”, which unites us with the rest of the Catholic world in using the singular.

The singular “I believe” also makes the Creed more personal and challenges each individual to interiorize the faith. This is what we do when we renew our baptismal promises during the Easter season or when attending a baptism. The priest asks if we believe in the various statements of the Creed, and we respond “I do”.

Begining on the 5th of November, I'll present an indepth look at the Mass in a new section below the Written Assignments section in the right hand column. For now, I'll continue presenting short weekly posts detailing some of the more obvious changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment