Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mission Statement

After the Navy I was lucky to get a great job, and although I stayed with that company for 6 years, eventually I realized that I should have a resume. While researching how to write a resume I was exposed to the idea of creating a personal mission statement. I've used that mission statment ever since, and the other day I realized that mission statements might also be found in the Bible.

The mission statement proclaimed by Jesus is, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has appointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord." (Luke 4:18)

The mission statement for the church is, to "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19)

The mission statment for my Parish is, " ... disciples working together for the glory of God and our spiritual growth in Jesus Christ ... we live and share the Gospel through worship, education and service."

A mission statement for Society is, "Blessed are you who are poor in spirit, for yours is the kingdom of God, ..." (Matthew 4:19)

The mission statement for all Christians is to, "... love the Lord with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength." And to "... love your neighbor as yourself." (Mark 12:30)

My personal mission statement was, and still is, "To leave the world a better place than I found it; by being a positive influence to others, and by doing the best that I can in all things."

Have you ever thought about what your personal mission statement might be?

No comments:

Post a Comment