Saturday, September 29, 2012

Who's Your Neighbor

I know this guy, and I'm pretty sure you know someone like this guy, who can be very negative at times. Especially about those he considers as outsiders who in this case is just about everyone; it's an embarrassment to his wife. I really like this guy, and so in the past I tolerated his occasional negative statements and I tried to slowly direct the conversation to something less negative. Unfortunately, he's getting older and he may be experiencing the early symptoms of Alzheimer’s, which may explain why his negativity is getting worse. He's beginning to repeat these ideas over and over during every conversation, easily circling back after being re-directed by me. His fears and concerns about whom he considers responsible for the condition of America, and I suppose the world in general, are way off base. Nevertheless, it makes sense to him and in some way is probably very real to him.

Like I said, I really like this guy, he's my Dad. When I was a kid I didn't realize that he was so opinionated, but after going away to college I quickly learned that my Dad was a bit of a racist. There was never anything objectionable that I remember; he wasn't the kind of guy to loudly proclaim belief or spout unkind rhetoric. It was never anything overt, but in a subtle kind of way he separated everyone into us vs them categories. Because he's my Dad I would like to continue "giving him some slack", but as I said it's getting worse. I've begun a campaign to help him whenever I can, first of all by praying for him often, and secondly by letting him know that I don't agree with his statements and assessments about others. I'm learning to say things like, "No Dad, I don't believe "they" are responsible for what's happening in America. America is in trouble because the politicians won't stop arguing with each other."

In Jesus' teachings, our relationship with our fellow men, women and children is inseparable from our relationship with God. Love of God and love of our neighbors are two aspects of the same calling. We commonly think of neighbors as the people who live near us, but the parable of the Good Samaritan makes it clear that to "love your neighbor" means to love all persons, everywhere; not just our friends, allies, and countrymen. Jesus used this parable to extend the rule of love to even our enemies! Like the unselfish Samaritan man of Jesus' parable, we are called to extend our love and concern to all persons everywhere, as our neighbors. Although it may be easier to do if we exclude those we are confident Jesus would not have included, His reminder to us is that absolutely no one should be excluded for any reason. Help me pray for those with mental health concerns like my Dad's, and pray that everyone learns to extend Jesus' rule of love to all persons, everywhere, including their enemies!

No comments:

Post a Comment