Saturday, November 3, 2012

Stuff Happens

I used to say, "If Life was easy everyone would want to do it". I was trying to acknowledge that things were "as they should be", while also trying to ignore the fact that the struggle itself was depressing. I couldn't understand why I had to struggle with absolutely everything. I'm not sure if I was trying to keep up with others, or if I was just trying to be what appeared to be normal. Now I understand that normal isn't normal and those imagined others are struggling just as much as I am. Today, probably because I'm a lot older and a little bit wiser, I also understand my own struggles better and see them in relation to the world around me. Some people have cancer, some have lost loved ones, and some have money worries. I realize that these are "not the same", but the point is life is not easy for anyone. Being normal means that I struggle, you struggle, we all struggle!

I've also been known to say (quite often), "Life is hard and then you die". I realize that it sounds a bit harsh, but it is one of my favorite sayings because what it means to me has changed over the years; for me it is no longer pessimistic, it's optimistic. Life wasn't intended to be easy and no one owes us anything; struggle is simply part of what it means to be alive. It isn't our fault, or God's fault, or our neighbors fault. When we realize that life isn't easy for anyone we can stop being negative, and once we accept that our struggle is in itself good for us, we are open to appreciate the gifts that we have been given. Everyone, or at least the 99% of us that are aware of what's going on around us, are doing the best that we can.

There is a popular song that says, "sometimes blessings come through raindrops" and "healing comes through tears". We humans are emotional creatures; we connect with the trials and joys in life, whether it's ours or our neighbors, and we must understand that God's mercy can sometimes be "disguised" as hard nights. We humans can also be slow learners, which is why it sometimes takes years for us to know that God is near. "Sometimes honest cries of heart felt pain are better than a halleluiah". Let us be thankful that while we pour out our individual miseries "what God hears is a melody": Take a moment to gather courage, accept the struggle, and know that He is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment