Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Joy of Old Age

As I've aged, I've become kinder and less critical of myself. In a way, I suppose I've become my own friend. So many people leave this world too soon, before they understand the great freedom that comes with age. As we get older, it is easier to be positive, partly because we care less about what other people think, but also because we question ourselves less. We've even earned the right to be wrong. So, don't fear or struggle with time, being old is a reward in itself, it can set us free to be the person each of us has become.
 
Like not letting others get in the way if you choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM, and then sleep until noon. If we want to dance with ourselves to those wonderful tunes of yesterday, just do it, or eat dessert every single day if you want. If you wish to weep about past memories, missing friends, and lost opportunities ... it's OK. The jet set isn't going to care if you walk on the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, or dive into the waves with abandon. They're too busy with their own lives and they too are aging too fast. Don't worry if at times you are forgetful, because some of life is just as well forgotten, remember the important things.
 
Sure, over the years our hearts have been broken, like with the loss of a loved one, or when our children suffer, or even when somebody's beloved pet passes away; but broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion for others: It also teaches us to be kind to ourselves. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and it will never know the joy of being imperfect. Sadly, many have never laughed and too many die before their hair can turn silver. I have been blessed with a life long enough to have gray hair, and to have grooves in my face forever etched by laughter and tears. I am not going to live forever either, but while I'm here I am not going to waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment