Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jesus Loves Me

Remember this, "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so"? I think this is the first song that my Mom taught me as a child, and later I remember singing and enjoying hymns with her. I grew up in a small town where everyone listened to country western music, but like other kids I wanted to listen to rock music. I don't remember much about it actually; accept to say that it was pretty tame compared to today's rock music. I do remember The Beatles big night on the Ed Sullivan Show, but I'll admit I wasn't too impressed and in all honesty I didn't come to appreciate them until the White Album was released. In college I was exposed to some serious hard rock music, but I didn't like it and in fact it was too scary for me.

Back in "the old days", I listened to the music but I didn't always listen to the words. I've changed a lot since then, and over the years my taste in music has changed as well. Today I still like country western, rock music, and the blues, but I've also discovered christian rock music. Although the music is good what has really hooked me and held my attention is the message in the words! Even as a child, the music of the hymns was nice but the words were far more important to me. One of my all-time favorite songs is Amazing Grace by John Newton, "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see". Even reciting these words in silence brings tears to my eyes. Another song that grips me emotionally is the Servant Song by Gillard, "Will you let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you. Pray that I might have the grace, to let you be my servant too".

These and other songs have powerful words that allow us to connect to the message of Christ's love and saving grace. I find them very comforting and compelling, and although I've changed a lot since "the old days", the words of a good hymn still hook me emotionally. I am also inspired by the current wave of christian rock music, but I will never be able to express how much that first little song has said to me through the years, and how much it still has to say to all of us. "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, they are week but He is strong". Yes, Jesus loves me, and He loves you! His message of love is being sung to comfort and inspire the little one in each of us, and all we need is the grace to let Him be our servant too.

No comments:

Post a Comment