Saturday, February 19, 2011

I’m Ok! You’re OK!

Remember the 60's, Ok sorry, how about the 70's? For those of you that should remember the 70's but don't, and don't even remember why you don't remember the 70's, let me explain. During that period in time there was this notion that "everything’s cool", and if you remember that the word "man" went after that phrase you know what I'm talking about. Everything was OK, and nothing was considered too much except for rules of course, which were "a downer ... man". We got along with phrases like "chill out", and "be cool", and "look at all the colors ... man".

Ok, so I'll admit I didn't push any boundaries and that wasn't me. Luckily I was overprotected as a child and didn't understand what was happening until it was too late. I'm still very grateful to my parents, because I can remember the 70's, and because I missed the whole "anything goes" culture thing. Today more than ever we need rules! We need an understanding of our place in the world, and more importantly of our place in the Kingdom of God.

I was disturbed the other day when I discovered that one of the confessionals in my church was being used for storage. Unfortunately, the 70's lingers on in the form of "everything’s cool", "why worry", and "who cares"; and it still leads to trouble. People have forgotten, or no longer care about the "wages of sin" (hint: DEATH!). Avoiding sin is not about avoiding prison, following the Ten Commandments, and being a good person. Sin is anything that gets between you and your relationship with God. I've always believed that it isn't the big things in life that matter most, it's the small things, and that goes for sin as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment