Saturday, December 17, 2011

Under my roof

Excerpts from the book, A Guide to the New Translation of The Mass written by Edward Sri, S.T.D. and printed by Ascension Press in 2011.

“Lord, I am not worthy to receive you” is now “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof”. These new words reflect the humility and trust of the Roman centurion in the gospels, who humbly acknowledges, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof”. Yet he expresses a great faith that surpasses that of many others in the gospels. Jesus praises this man for his faith.

Like the centurion, we, at this moment in the Mass, recognize our unworthiness to have Jesus come sacramentally under the “roof” of our souls in Holy Communion. Yet just as the centurion believed Jesus was able to heal his servant, so do we trust that Jesus can heal us as he becomes the most intimate guest of our souls.

Along with these short weekly posts detailing some of the more obvious changes, I've presented an indepth look at the Mass. You can find it below the Written Assignments section in the right hand column.

No comments:

Post a Comment