Saturday, July 21, 2012

Why

I believe that the most important question anyone can ask is why, and we should ask it often.

Kids love to ask why, at least I did, and this question used to get me into trouble; because I was constantly starting my sentences with why. In fact, starting my sentences with the word why persisted beyond my college years. As I grew older however, I tended to verbalize my "why" questions less and less and concentrate more on the possible answers. It isn't that the question itself is bad of course, usually the problem is that the person you are asking doesn't have the answer, and rather than appear unprepared they scold you for asking. Don't be put off! We should all be asking the question "why" all the time, and we should insist on clear answers. It doesn't matter whether we are talking about politics, religion, or finances. Asking the "why" question and insisting on an understandable answer is still the best way to challenge the status quo and make progress into the future.

Today I still ask myself why, because it helps me understand what is happening in the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment